Saturday, June 1, 2013

Return of the Kept Man

Remember back when we first moved here? Back when I was still trying to get a job in Indonesia? Ah, those were the days. As it turns out, well, actually I'll let this video fill you in:



As you can see, I am making a triumphant return to the kept man lifestyle. Without going into every detail (I'll spare you that GRIPPING drama), here's the deal (as I've learned from the South Park underpants gnomes):

Step 1: Quit my job
Step 2: ???
Step 3: PROFIT!

Seriously though, I am very appreciative and grateful to my company for the opportunity to transfer here and work in management consulting. But, I learned the hard way that I am not cut out to work in strategy. It requires too many unknowns and too many grey areas for me and my brain is more process driven and analytical. I'll use photography as an example: I am not the most creative person, nor do I have the gift of seeing the world as artistically as the most talented photographers do. But, I do understand the processes of how the camera works and I can put it to use to take some pretty good pictures. I'll never be an artistic photographer, but I can still do some really cool stuff with a camera.

There were other reasons as well, but the bottom line is that the job was unfulfilling for me, and every day I came home unhappy. At this point in my life, I'm not going to spend time doing things that make me feel that way, especially when I have the option to pursue other opportunities. It's an option I am very fortunate to have, so I'm choosing that path.

So what does all this mean? I already have an idea of the path that is right for me - something ops/process driven. I've spent my entire life learning how things work, taking stuff apart, etc. I went to school for engineering because I like figuring out how things work, and when I worked in a factory for a summer, I passed the time watching the machinery and figuring out all the steps each one carried out. That kind of stuff is (and always has been) interesting to me. (NERD ALERT!!)

It's been very much a series of "well duh" moments for me as I've come to these realizations over the past couple months, but better late than never. From here, I'll be reading a bunch of books, trying to learn as much as I can about the types of roles that I am best suited to, and then once we know where our next location will be, I'll start zeroing in on potential opportunities for me.

But until then, I'm back to living the life of a kept man. I'll be keeping this blog more frequently updated, playing around with some more photography stuff, reading books on personal development, going to the gym, cooking, cleaning, etc. Gloria's really hoping I don't look like this in a couple months:
Mmmm Zingerman's....
All we know for sure is that I'm done working in consulting, at least for now. I won't say for good though, because none of us knows what the future holds. For now, I'm just going to keep moving forward and try to put myself (and Gloria) in the best possible position for our future. It's exhilarating, frightening, nerve-wracking, exciting...but we're in it together and whatever the future holds, we'll be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment